So, where am I going first?

keep-calm-and-carry-on-royal-blueIn our last post, we discussed the steps I’m using to decide on where I’m going first.

Honestly, I still haven’t decided the specifics but I am breaking it down into general areas.

As an example, I’m attending  a travel writing workshop just north of San Francisco Bay in mid-August. I’ll plan a trip to Southern California, where I lived for nearly two decades, around that rather than go back and forth across the country. Whether it’s before or after depends on the schedule of the people I want to see and whether or not they’ll be in town.

I’ve also decided to stay in the U.S. until the fall when I will venture off to Europe. I’m doing this because I want to avoid the summer European crowds although I haven’t  decided where to go while there.

That just leaves me to decide June, July and the beginning of August. I’m leaning towards New England because it’s an area I’m considering as a place to relocate. It’s also a good time as the weather isn’t crazy cold nor is it the expensive high season of leaf peeping in September and October.

Or should I head to the west coast and spend time in the Pacific Northwest, another area I’m considering as a place to relocate, before venturing to California?

Some of you may be wondering why I’m not just running overseas as soon as possible. After all, doesn’t full-time travel mean leaving your home country for new worlds?

How many full-time travel bloggers write about how they are not “coming home” until the wanderlust is out of their system?  They want you to think that domestic travel isn’t real travel.

And they’re wrong.

Too many people neglect seeing their own countries, or neighboring countries, when they plan travel.  Don’t do that.  Don’t miss your own backyard.

Traveling domestically is still traveling.  And I’m not going to miss out on that.

This entry was posted in Travel Tips. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to So, where am I going first?

1. Rene says:

Good luck
    Wonder what it would be if you had a significant other or (close) family.
    True many others go to Thailand, but there is usually a significant age difference, and some people like to buy thing for their home, from their travels.
    Your personal situation is more unique or different than most. Financial ability and packing style not withstanding.

If I had a SO, we’d travel together. Lots of couples do.

Regarding the age difference, that’s true. There aren’t many people middle aged and above who travel full time and write about it. However, as baby boomers age, travel is something they consider but aren’t sure about. I’m trying to show them they can travel.

There are also many more families that travel full time….more than I thought. The parents feel their kids will learn more traveling than sitting in a classroom. And with classes available online, this option is becoming more popular.

What I’m trying to help people do is travel under their own terms. It doesn’t have to be full time. But if they have that dream, mixed with a little hesitation, I’m hoping my experience will get them moving in the right direction.

3. Lewis Clark says:

My dream of travel in the US is putting a mattress in the back of a van and hitting the open road. IMO van+sleep roll is the one bag equivalent of the full-on RV tour.

Either way, I think travel here is much more about nature while travel overseas tends to be more about culture. Excepting everyone’s favorite, Thailand, which offers a fair bit of both plus amazing bargain-priced massage.

The thing that always struck me after moving home from abroad was how you could travel 3000 miles and end up where you started, aforementioned ecological differences aside. A Walmart by any other name…

4. Ralph says:

That is an interesting comment about families traveling, and I would agree with the experience of travel. I would also suggest, in your writings, kind of balanced plus / minus view. The minus for kids always traveling I would be I suppose, is their friends and social upbringing. Maybe it isn’t that much different than home schooling, who knows?
    Or seeing a painting you like on a travel – what to do/how do you approach buying it or not?
    I think this will help others in their plans and decision making.
    History is great. I absolutely agree. All countries have their own rich history. But if you mean “biblical” or centuries old, then the US doesn’t have that kind of history. Too bad many places simply aren’t as safe as others to travel too, especially for that kind of history. I myself would not mind going to Afganistan or Syria, but won’t for safety reasons, let alone take my family there.
    Lastly, I’d suggest a tips for finding great travel accomondations, air/bus/train, and how to accumulate ‘points’ and how to best use them.
    I suppose the ability to travel full time is based on many things, including finances, obligations (family and business), and simply life’s enjoyment. Have fun.

5. Susan Camp says:

Frank, I’m interested in your comment about attending a travel writers’ conference north of SF. Once my husband and I are both retired, I’d like to expand my existing blog to include our travel adventures, though we will not be traveling full-time. Would attendance at such a conference help me be a better writer and maybe make some money at it?

It might. The conference is really for experienced writers who want specific information on travel writing. If you have little or no experience putting a feature story together, you might want to look for a local class, or one online, that gets you writing and offers feedback. The conference I’m attending is mostly lecture.

This the webpage for the conference:

You’ll be able to see a list of seminars and can determine if they would be right for you.

7. Susan says:

Thanks. I’ll check it out.