NYC To Install Pedestrian Maps

transportation201301wayfinding-nyc-maps-people I’ll admit it. Occasionally, and only occasionally, I’ll get lost in a strange city. Usually, it’s after taking underground transportation and returning to street level that I lose my bearings.

To a pedestrian friendly city like NY, this is a too often occurrence. Not just for visitors but  residents as well.

Starting today, the New York City Department of Transportation will install pedestrian friendly maps on both street corners and in subway stations.

Unlike most maps that point north, these maps will point in the direction the map reader is looking.

The $6 million project will also offer information on transit hubs and bike lanes as well as average walking times to destinations on the map.

Paris is the only city I know of that does something similar. In most Metro stations,  there is a map of the area around that station. Riders can peruse the maps and figure out which way they need to head before leaving the station.

More cities should do this.

This entry was posted in Travel News and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to NYC To Install Pedestrian Maps

1. Tarquin says:

Tokyo has numerous maps at stations, which are really handy considering the confusing number of exits. But the street map in the picture destined for NY look like an identical design to the ones in Bristol, UK.

Malaga has them placed around main tourist areas. Handy when you start walking around the maze of alley ways around the cathedral.

Venice doesn’t have maps, per se, but does put directions to main areas on the side of buildings. Occasionally, however, you run across something like this:

4. lewis clark says:

How does this differ from the maps of stations, exits, and environs that have been in the subway stations (usually next to the stairs) for years? I mean, other than a sad attempt to make them even more idiot proof by eliminating the need to orient yourself to cardinal points.

Seriously, if you can’t work out the street map/compass rose tandem, maybe travel’s not your game.

5. notmensa says:

“Paris is the only city I know of that does something similar.”

I’m surprised to see this comment in the post from an experienced traveler. Numerous cities worldwide put maps at transit stations and on street corners. This is not in any way new. Maybe the orientation thing is novel – and I can certainly see how it’s useful when most travelers do not carry a compass.

I was referring to the orientation aspect not just the availability of maps.

I haven’t been to Bristol so I didn’t know they had them. The closest I’ve gotten is Bath.

I still carry a tiny compass with me. It’s come in handy. Especially in places where the written alphabet is different from mine. And with GPS on my phone and tablet, even maps are becoming old school.